Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Moby-Dick

As I write this, I'm involved in a friggin' battle.

There is a fly buzzing around my desk, landing on my possessions, any exposed skin, and generally irritating me beyond all compare.

Now, if I wasn't supposed to be doing something else, this might be fine. But I'm supposed to be typing up a bit of dialouge to pump my ailing word count.

Forget that. It's me vs. fly.

Oh, I don't want to kill it. I'm not a fan of killing animals. I just want it the heck out of my room. So I'm trying to trap it. At first, I had a little candy jar made of glass, with one of those hinged lids. That didn't work out so well. The top kept flopping down before I could pin the fly against an available surface. My current harpoon is a plastic cup. Lidless, but wide.

I've come close, but this thing's impossible to catch. It's a friggin' white whale. But I'll get it in the end. I have the power of procrastination on my side. No task is too trival to devote ungodly amount of time to.


Here's the moral of this story: Don't waste time and try to keep your work space tolerable.


See ya, guys, I'm going to get some Sevin to hose down my keyboard. That should work.

3 comments:

Dwight's Writing Manifesto said...

Oh for the love of PETE!

It's a frickin' FLY!

This is like the scene from Annie Hall.

MIA: Eeek! There's a spider in the bathtub.

WOODY: She-wow! That thing's as big a Buick!

MIA: Wait! Don't kill it!

WOODY: What do you want me to do? Catch it and rehabilitate it?

I can see you trying to reason with the fly, Inky.

Ink Johnson said...

Yep.

Ink: Please come here, fly. I don't want to hurt you... *BANG*

I actually caught it and let it outside. It was much more fufilling than killing it- I got to watch it buzz around in terror.

Only then, I let a mosquito in. That was it. ;)

Miri said...

Please tell me you killed the mosquito.