Monday, July 23, 2007

When Scripture Strikes

When I was a wee little lass in Ireland (or Maryland... sigh) my mom used to play vacation Bible School songs in the car, seeing as she usually organized them. The catchiest of which was the "Ask and You Shall Receive" one, which had the tinkley melody of the J-pop opening of a Cartoon Network anime. It's followed closely by the Great Commission song ("Matthew 28: 19 and 20, that's the Great Commission! Matthew 28: 19 and 20 says to go soul fishin'!")

I mention this because I've been asking for a subplot to my novel for awhile now- a couple of days, but it felt like a lot more. I've been asking pretty fervently. Not from God, necessarily (whom, I understand, has bigger fish to fry). No, I've been appealing to the novel itself. "I gave you life, novel! I poured sweat and blood* into you! You owe me one measly subplot!"

Well, I'm being a bit unfair to my novel here. On coughing up ideas owed, it's got a credit rate of 800. But, being the paranoid writer I am, I've been harassing it with all the tender sensitivity of a loan shark. And it's paid up. With interest. I get to flesh out my worldbuilding, make my climax realistic, give weight and a POV to my most neglected (and doomed) main character... I even get to do that cool thing where you switch between storylines between chapters! It's great!
So persevere, guys. This feels so good- writer's high, and I wouldn't want you to miss it.

Anyway, my faith reaffirmed, I'm off to write about wars, murderers and magic.

Laura Mallory will be proud.



*Literally, in some cases. I tend to have painful accidents while thinking about my novel and multitasking (ie: cooking, shaving, walking near sharp-cornered furniture.)

3 comments:

Miri said...

Mmmhmm. That's right. The novel gets all the credit.

I kid, I kid. =) Say hi to your coolest, most neglected (and doomed) character for me. But don't lie about it. I hear he can smell it a mile away.

Miri said...

...can I just say that sounded way worse than it was intended to?

Ink Johnson said...

^ Hm? I thought it was awesome- I repeated it to my dad and he laughed... oh, wait, I'm starting to get it.

S'okay, Miri. :)